Effectiveness of the Counter Cyclical Policies homework help
This assignment addresses how both monetary and fiscal policies have been used during the so-called Great Recession, which began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009, to the present to moderate the business cycle.
Resources: Tutorial help on ExcelÂ® and Word functions can be found on the MicrosoftÂ®Office website. There are also additional tutorials via the web offering support for Office products.
Create a minimum 10-slide PowerPointÂ® presentation, including detailed speaker notes or voiceover, in which you analyze the following markets or industries: The housing market
Your analysis will extend from the beginning of the Great Recession, which was December 2007, to the present and should include the following:
- An ExcelÂ® workbook with the following datasets:
- One dataset related to the U.S. housing industry such as housing starts, the FHFA housing price index, or another dataset of your choice related to the housing market.
- One dataset related to personal or household income or to personal or household saving.
- One dataset related to the labor market such as the unemployment rate, initial claims for unemployment insurance, or another dataset of your choice related to the U.S. labor force.
- One dataset related to production and business activity within the market or industry you choose to analyze.
- Find your datasets by using different internet data sources, including, but not limited to, the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis’s FRED site, U.S. Dept. of Commerce’s Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA), U.S. Dept. of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau, and The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Using data results analyze the economic and sociological forces that drove the market equilibrium to unsustainable heights, commonly referred to as “bubbles,” and the shocks that brought the markets back down.
- Discuss specific changes in supply and demand within the markets and/or industries you chose to analyze.
- Examine prior government policies and legislation that might have exacerbated the impact of the shocks. Also, discuss government actions/regulations that might be undertaken, and/or have been undertaken, to moderate the effects of extreme economic fluctuations.
- Evaluate the actions of the federal government (fiscal policy) and the Federal Reserve (monetary policy) to restore the economy and foster economic growth. Base your evaluation on information available at Internet sources such as, but not limited to, the Fed’s The Economy Crisis and Response website as well as other appropriate sources found on the Internet and in the University Library. Be sure you address the effectiveness of those counter-cyclical policies.
Practice the following pattern in your slide/bullet point construction: 1) assertion, 2) reasons for or explanation of the assertion, and 3) evidence for the assertion. If you are particularly energetic, a fourth element is 4) application of economic theory to real world issues involving career, financial planning, business, or politics. If these elements do not fit on a slide or in a bullet point, these elements should be in the slide notes.
Cite a minimum of three peer-reviewed sources and economic data not including the course text. Submit the data results in a separate MicrosoftÂ® ExcelÂ® file.
Format the assignment consistent with APA guidelines.